Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Tray 2 and attachments

(I started a review on realself.com and the following post has been taken from my review with a few small corrections and additions.)

OK, so I got my attachments on March 22nd. I got 6 on the upper and 7 on the lower. I have 2 of them on my left central incisor. Yippee! He didn't quite match my tooth color on all of them....they seem to be MUCH whiter than my apparently yellow tinted teeth. So they kind of stand out A LOT. And they are rough when I am not wearing my aligner. Which I really don't want to take out in public so everyone can see my 'not only' snaggle toothed grin but my now snaggle toothed with sparkling white boney growths grin. :/

I had quite the experience getting them put on. One of the dental assistants had called in that day, and so the doc and the 1 assistant that was there were going back and forth between patients and things were running a little slow. Not a problem. Having the attachments put on was ok. The procedure didn't hurt at all and didn't take that long (aside from the waiting around for my turn bit.) Doc came in after assistant was done with her blue light special to clean me up and remove excess cement...then he sent her to do xrays on another patient. So the doc starts sanding down the attachements with one of those doodad deals that also sprays water while it is sanding down. Yea...so he has one of those sucker wands hanging out of a corner of my mouth all the while the water is literally pouring out the opposite side at the same time spraying up my nose. Yay, an early shower! Of water, spit and cement dust. High five! Weee! LOL, sorta. :) Ahh, stuff happens, so I didn't make a big deal out of it. I knew he was doing his best (and probably a bit lost without the assistant... :))

I didn't think anything else of the attachments. I was able to wrangle the second set of trays on and off before leaving the office and I headed back to work after wringing my shirt out. No time to go change. No one noticed. It was Friday...they would have gotten over it anyway. :)

That night at dinner, however, I discovered a small, teeny, tiny problem. The attachment that is on my left lateral incisor (and yes, I have obtained a chart with the names of teeth so I will appear informed when I am truly...not!) sits in such as way that my left central incisor hits it and prevents me from closing my mouth all the way. Quite interesting to attempt to work around to say the least. If I eat on the opposite side of my mouth AND tilt my head to the right at the same time, I can almost chew everything the way I am supposed to. The rest of it gets swallowed with a prayer that it doesn't block my windpipe. So far the prayer seems to be working.

I noticed a vendor who has never met me checking out my spit riddled, snaggled toothed, boney growth, shiny with aligners grin and I felt self conscious for a nano second. No one that has been working with me for the last almost 4 years have either 1) noticed or 2) are too afraid of me to ask what the hell is on my teeth. Both have equal possibilities. (LOL Just kidding, I am a doll to everyone! Unless you are an a$$...but I jest. Sometimes.) None of my family have noticed, asked, or gives a damn. :)

Since getting the attachments I have stopped taking the aligners out as much. The first 2 "get used to them" weeks I stayed on my same food/snack schedule. I am one of those who eat every 2-1/2 to 4 hours. What a hassle now that it takes SOOOOOOO long to get these things out! Forget it! I am now on the infamous Invisalign Diet! I need to lose about 20 lbs anyway.

I am embarrassed (to a small degree) with my attachments, but am keeping my eye on the prize. I wanted this, so I am gonna suck it up and love it! OK, maybe not LOVE, that's kind of strong, maybe ALMOST LIKE them is better. :) As time goes by I am not as self conscious about them unless I notice someone actually staring at my mouth. I haven't yet blurted out that I have Invisalign braces, but have come close. I am trying to hold out to see if anyone asks me about them and if so, how long it takes them to do so! :)

Aligners In:
 
Aligners Out:
 



No comments:

Post a Comment